How safe are your foods and meds?
If you think the food or prescriptions you buy are safe, they’re not. In fact, the same foods and/or medications you’ve been consuming for years can kill you due to unsanitary practices at the factory. You can sign up for free for emailed alerts from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Here’s a small sample of the alerts I received just in the last two months:
1. medications recalled due to contamination with bacteria – You take medication to get better, not worse!
2. dry pet food recalled due to salmonella – Your puppy may be sick from his dog food, not because he licks his butt.
3. maple almond butter recalled due to metallic fragments – I don’t want metal in my nut butter!
4. fresh cilantro recalled due to listeria – Herbs are supposed to help, not kill.
5. amino acid injection recalled due to finding of human hair – Can you imagine seeing a hair being injected into your skin or vein? Yikes!
6. Potato salad recalled due to contamination with listeria – Potato salad is always risky. Don’t buy or make potato salad with mayo.
7. GoPicnic Vegan meals recalled due to undeclared milk allergens – I’m allergic to dairy and have been ill from many so-called “vegan” products so this comes as no surprise to me.
8. General Mills recalled their Refrigerated Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls With Icing since “…the dough may contain fragments from a broken piece of plastic on the production line.” That sounds like a choking hazard.
Until we eradicate disease and all own a farm, we need to be cautious about everything we eat, drink and put on our skin. We want to keep our pets safe too. It’s no fun reading about recalls but I want to know right away if the product being recalled is something I have in the house so I can toss it out. Ignorance may be bliss…until you’re sick.