Are your calcium pills safe to take?
I never thought calcium facts could be so surprising. I found so many interesting specifics on calcium, I just had to share…
- Some calcium pills are contaminated with lead. Oyster shell or bone meal are natural sources more likely to contain lead than calcium carbonate. (1) Pg. 408.
- You would need to eat 10 cups of kale to meet calcium requirements (1) Pg. 406.
- If you get your calcium from food, only about 25-35% of calcium is absorbed (1) Pg. 402.
- A low-protein diet reduces calcium (1) Pg. 404.
- High intakes of calcium and dairy do NOT lead to weight loss (1) pg. 408.
- Calcium is the predominate component of bone. (1) pg. 403.
- Spinach is high in calcium but since it has oxalic acid, only 5% is absorbed, compared to 27% in milk (1) pg. 406.
- “…Up to 75% of adults around the world are lactose intolerant…” (1) Pg. 406.
- Tums is the cheapest source of calcium (1) pg. 406.
- Some evidence suggests that weight-bearing activity has a greater impact than calcium intake (1) pg. 414.
- Sport Nutrition for Healthy and Performance, 2nd edition by Manore, Meyer and Thompson