With these cold, rainy winter days, I wanted something warm and easy to make so I came up with this low-calorie, chicken soup.
2 large chicken breasts
- 1 ½ boxes chicken stock (48 ounces)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 zucchini, peeled & sliced thinly, into half-moons
- 1 yellow crookneck squash, peeled & sliced thinly, into half-moons
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 handfuls of raw spinach
- 1 tsp each of garlic, oregano, ground black pepper & chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Place chicken in crock pot. Add stock, carrots, and zucchini. Cook on low, covered for four hours. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Put shredded chicken in a glass bowl and add spices. Put chicken in refrigerator. Put cover back on crock pot and cook on high for four hours. Turn off crockpot and unplug. Add spinach and cover while making quinoa. Rinse quinoa, and cook per package instructions. Heat chicken in microwave for 30 seconds. Add stock with vegetables and ½ cup cooked quinoa per serving.