Raw Mushrooms are toxic

large mushroomsbutton mushroomsmushrooms

 

 

 

 

 

Call me weird, but I don’t like cooked mushrooms; they taste slimy to me. They’re okay-tasting raw, with some salt and pepper, but I’m never doing that again because I just learned that raw mushrooms contain a toxin called agaritine (1). This “toxin is destroyed by cooking…” except in morel mushrooms, where, “the toxin levels appear higher and may react with alcohol even after cooking (1).” Morels are expensive, and I’ve never seen them in grocery stores, but some places do sell them.

 Go ahead and cook your favorite mushrooms in butter and wine, or simmer in a tasty sauce. I’m going to avoid them, and if they’re served to me, I’m going to remove them from my plate and toss them in the trash. 

  1. Source: Greger, M.D., Michael. How Not to Die. Book. New York: Flatiron Books. 2015 pg. 326.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: