This rich, flavorful vegetable soup has no oil or dairy. The bite-sized pieces of carrot and potatoes goes nicely with the creamy, “cheesy” soup.
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T mustard powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 T nutritional yeast (this is dairy-free & tastes like cheese)
In a medium-sized pot, place potatoes, carrot, onion and stock, and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover and cook 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Pour ½ of cooked vegetables with stock in a large blender or mixer and mix until creamy. Add remaining ingredients, but leave out the vegetable that weren’t blended, and mix again until smooth. Add the creamy soup back into the pot with the chunky vegetables, and mix gently with a spoon. To serve, add two ladles of soup and top with extra salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.