Full body workout for seniors (for strength, balance & flexibility)
(if you are viewing this on email or on social media, please visit site at http://www.realdiethelp.com for the most updated version of this post; it looks better, and it shows me an accurate count of views)
In this full body workout (see video towards the bottom of this post), specifically designed for seniors, or for those individuals who need to re-gain strength, all that’s needed is a sturdy chair, and a soft surface like a mat or cushy carpet. If you have light dumbbells and/or ankle weights, grab them too, but you can use your bodyweight for resistance like I am here.
In this head-to-toe, follow-along workout, my mom has joined us virtually (she’s in her 70’s). Mom keeps fit by walking, gardening, and strength training with me, twice a week on-line. I used to train her at the gym where I worked before COVID-19, but that didn’t stop us from exercising, or from making our health a priority (we just needed to make changes and be creative).
Here’s a list of the exercises we did together, in order:
- Warm-up with prances & parallel calf raises
- Single-leg kickstand squats
- Side leg lifts
- Kickbacks aka donkey kicks
- Single-leg deadlifts
- Seated single leg extensions
- Calf raises
- Elevated narrow push-ups on a chair (to target the triceps)
- Bent-over rear flyes
- Pec dec press
- Shoulder press
- Standing lateral shoulder raises with a clap at the top
- Single leg balance spelling out the alphabet from A-G
- Seated bent-knee lifts (to target the lower abs)
- Seated or standing oblique crunches (to target the side abs)
- Seated cat-cow
- Seated glute stretch
- Seated and standing hamstring stretch
- Seated and standing quadriceps stretch
- Calf stretch
- Inner thigh stretch (butterfly pose)
To watch this workout, play the YouTube video below.
Let me and mom know if you joined us in the workout and if you liked it, because it was a lot of fun to film it, and we’d like to make more of these for you to enjoy and get fit with us.
P.S. This is my 864th blog! I’ve been publishing blog posts on this platform, consistently for over seven years now. I can’t believe it’s been that long. To prevent burnout, and to provide helpful, interesting, educational, unique content, I’ll be posting blogs once a week from now on instead of twice a week.
I don’t make any money on this platform. If you’d like to donate to my page, to cover website fees, click the PayPal link below. Any amount is welcome, no matter how small. Thank you!