Steps & Strength cardio workout (walking + leg workout)
If you want to meet your goal of getting in a certain number of steps per day, and want to get your legs and glutes (the butt muscles) stronger, but don’t have the time to do both, this exercise routine tackles both goals.
Below is a low-impact cardiovascular walking-strength workout. We are getting our steps in, by marching for 30 seconds in between strengthening lower body sets. I enjoy walking, getting my heartrate up, without jumping or putting too much pressure on my joints, and making my muscles work, so I combined these elements into one 25-minute workout.
I’ve coined this exercise session a steps and strength workout. It’s cardio with walking and bodyweight muscle-building exercises, that targets the lower body.
Steps & lower body strength exercises, in order:
- Warm up by marching in place
- Squat with a calf raise, squat, sidestep, repeat. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Lateral walks. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Bridge plus two marches. Walk in place for 30 seconds.
- Double-leg deadlift, step, repeat. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Static lunches with a toe tap. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Side-step with a bent knee leg lift. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Plie squat with raising one foot to the opposite calf. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Cool down stretch
Play the YouTube video to start this workout: