Steps and Strength (walk and strengthen lower body)
written by Nina Shantel, RealDietHelp.com, published September 28, 2021
This low-impact cardiovascular walking-strength workout includes marching for 30 seconds in between strengthening lower body sets. You will get your heartrate up, without jumping or putting too much pressure on your joints, and making your muscles work, in one 25-minute workout.
I’ve coined this exercise session a steps and strength workout. It’s cardio with walking and bodyweight muscle-building exercises, that targets the lower body.
Below are the exercises, in order:
- Warm up by marching in place
- Leg to the side, arms wide, leg back, arms front
- Lateral walks. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Bridge, walk feet back to a supine plank, walk it back. Walk in place for 30 seconds.
- Plie left to right. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Walk laterally on toes. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Walk forward on toes. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Plie squat, alternating heels lifts, lift both heels, hands behind low back for balance assistance. March in place for 30 seconds.
- Side step
- Pendulum lunges. March in place
- Cool down stretch